GB Railfreight has a zero tolerance to any use of alcohol or drugs in the workplace as they import unacceptable risks to the safety of employees, customers, members of the public and other colleagues in the railway industry.
The Company is resolute to complying with the requirements of the Transport and Works Act 1992 and the Railway Group Standards in relation to alcohol. and drugs. The Railways and Other Guided Transport Systems (Safety) Regulations 2006: Regulation 24 a person who carries out safety critical work has been assessed as competent and fit to carry out that work.
Alcohol limits within GBRf are as set by the Railway Group Standard RIS-8070-TOM lssl and GEGN8570 lss 2 published by the Rail Safety & Standards Board (RSSB).
A breach of the Policy will almost always result in disciplinary proceedings and may result in a criminal prosecution. A random screening programme is in place to ensure compliance with this Policy.
In compliance with legislation, and the Railway Group Standards, GBRf shall take appropriate measures to ensure that no employee or contractor reports for duty or tries to report for duty while unfit because of alcohol, drugs or substances of abuse or consumes or uses them while on duty.
The Company recognises that there is a growing trend in society for the misuse of alcohol and the use of drugs.
We have a rehabilitation programme available for any employee who has or develops a problem with alcohol and or drugs. However, this help is to be sought at the earliest opportunity and it is not acceptable to disclose a problem if a screening is impending or as a result of screening.
1) Random testing will take place at work locations without prior notification.
2) Failure to consent to testing, or leaving site before testing is completed, will be regarded as a refusal to submit to testing. A positive result would then be recorded and dealt with in the same way as someone who had tested over the limit.
Consequences of a positive test result could be;
1) PTS certificate revoked for 5 years
2) Subject to disciplinary procedure
Our objectives are:
1) To exceed 15% of all GBRf safety critical operational staff subject to random D&A per year.
2) To exceed 10% of all GBRf safety critical HQ staff subject to random D&A per year.